For some excellent advice on how to handle noisy neighbors with or without a barking dog, including the anonymous letter approach, click here:
How to Handle Noisy Neighbors and Their Barking Dogs
If you are a victim of irresponsible dog owners with barking dogs, visit BarkingDogs.net
If you live in Monroe/Union County, NC also see Ordinances and Local Contacts
If you are in a position (e.g., judge, magistrate, law enforcement, city council, county commissioner, etc.) to put an end to nuisance dog barking or to enforce noise nuisance laws but don't view the problem as serious, click here: Why Exposure to Chronic Dog Barking is So Profoundly Debilitating and here: The Deleterious Effect of Exposing People to Noise

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Plan of Action

The following is a post written today by Dave Black, on the Barking Dogs Yahoo Group under the original post entitled "Things That Work and Don't Work." Under this original posting there is a continuing debate over what works and doesn't work to shut the damn dog(s) up (duh), and whether one should begin by approaching the dog's human or not.

Dave says,

"Hello, My personal experience on this (approaching the neighbors):
I basically have 3 close neighbors with dogs that bark, some more than others.
   #1. We had an OK relationship for years until the dogs took over. I spoke with them nicely and thought everything was OK. I continued to speak to them for 6 months, then I started calling the cops. Cops do nothing except get in the way. I continue to call the neighbor up and also call the cops. Much better now= little barking to none+ I don't talk to neighbor #1. I didn't like them anyway.
   #2.  A lady owns a B&B(business). She got two used (rescued dogs), ankle bitters, that use to run loose and bark at everything. Called the cops at first and that was a waste of time. Started calling her at all times. That didn't work either. Had to threaten her with a suit. Sent her Junk mail on anti barking stuff. That didn't work. Got the good neighbors in the area to complain. That didn't work. Sent her flowers for Valentines day. That helped, but thats all. Today it's much better, occasional 1 to 2 minutes. Don't know what worked here. Waiting for the dogs to get lost or run over.
   #3 Neighbor. He recently got a used dog. (rescuded). His dog is really bad. Out of control.I can here it bark in the house. He never leaves it out. He wan't to train it. He is always with it. I immediately spoke to him and explained my problem. So far it has been good. I haven't called the cops on him yet.
Closure: I call the cops on anything that I think is wrong. I call the people and talk with them if I think that they are wrong. I am the neighborhood watch. So far no one has called the cops on me, maybe because I am right. My theory is: If they bother you then you must bother them, but worse."


Right on, Dave!

(Oh crap. Now I got this highlighter on and can't turn it off)

Hmmm...I really like Dave's philosophy. I am very weary from not only being forced to listen to the barking but from resenting my neighbors for forcing it upon me, and I feel myself losing steam...feeling hopeless...on the verge of giving up...I'm becoming resigned to the fact that I'll just go batty and/or die from a stress related disease... but! this has given me a boost and I'm going to follow in Dave's footsteps. Harley's humans better watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment